Support my LiveStrong Goal!

Thursday, July 7, 2011

An eerie ride

July 7 - today was a long ride - 103 miles.  Started out early and went about 45 miles and a good climb before lunch (and hungry - cause I had only an orange and granola bar for breakfast).  But I had a good lunch to keep me going.

I climbed up and over 3 passes today, again along the continental divide.  One climb had me pedaling as fast as my legs would pedal...at 6 mph...while being passed by riders flying by in the opposite direction.  But I made it...

The third pass I rode was the "Chief Joseph Pass" - about a 45 minute ride through deep woods.  The eerie part..in the whole ride, I never heard one animal or noise..no birds, no squirrels, no wind, no rustling in the woods.   yes, it was quite weird.

I arrived at my destination of Sula, MT...population of 50 on a crowded day!  There is a nice campground here.  Unfortunately for me, the only places around to eat close after lunch.  So, I am in my tent (which is covered by swarms of mosquitos which has been the norm for the last week or two), and I've got my 2 powerades and my bag of doritos and my Baby Ruth bar...can't wait til they open for breakfast in the morning.

The cow is the only thing I saw for miles...out in the middle of nowhere

Starting to see snow on the mountains again

This road looks nice after climbing! 

This is where I came down from

3 comments:

  1. Great job, dear Jeff! I can just see those legs whipping along at 6 miles an hour. Your erie ride experience reminds me of a cover of a New Yorker where the trees are so tall and expansive, and there's one tiny little lone bike rider pedalling along. ...Know there's a whole bunch of folks with you, when times get quiet... I envy your experience, (but not the food, mosquitos, or physical pain, of course). Jewel Dirks, Crowheart fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jewel
    It is good to see a friend following me on my trip. I know we only meet for a short time but you are for sure one of the people that I will remember from my time on the TransAM. Because it is people like you that keep a smile on my face and love for others in my heart. Thanks you your spirit.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, that did sound like an erie ride through those woods. Could be a haunted forest. Maybe chief Joseph wanted it that way. I'm glad you've run into so may good people along the way. It helps to keep your spirits up along the long and lonely road. Beautiful but lonely. Happy trails Jeff, you're almost there. Soup

    ReplyDelete