Support my LiveStrong Goal!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday, May 15 - Damascus, Virginia

Well, yesterday was a nice rest day, spent in Wytheville, Virginia.  Even got a haircut - even though I said I wasn't going to for the whole ride.  Ha - changed my mind.  I am sure my girlfriend will be glad I did!

Again, I want to thank Chief Goodman of the Radford Police Department, and Rev. Allan Wilder and his Kim for their gracious hospitality.  The guys I've been riding with arrived yesterday as well , and we all were hosted by the Wilders last night. 

Today I got up and got started early.  I was eager to reach Damascus.  This weekend in Damascus, Virginia is 'trail days 2011'.  It is basically a reunion of sorts for those (me included!) who completed a through hike of the Appalachian Trail.  Lots of things to do, lots of folks here.  I arrived here, after 61 miles, around 1:00, so I was able to enjoy some of the festivities  (including an awesome banana split!).   Nice bike shop here who kindly checked out my bike and adjusted a few things for me. 

I am staying at the same hostel here tonight where I stayed back in 2007 when I came through.  New owners, though, and enjoyed a nice visit with them this evening.   So, we are back on the road tomorrow, headed toward Kentucky -- should be arriving there early this week.

Thank you all for your interest; please help me raise funds for Livestrong by clicking on the 'benefitting livestrong ' logo at the top of this page.  Every small donation helps and is greatly appreciated.

Thank you Rev and Mrs. Wilder!

Mt. Rogers, Virginia

MMMM....Banana Split

Yes, I ate the whole thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment