Support my LiveStrong Goal!

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sunday June 5 - a very very HOT weekend

A very hot and grueling weekend - 85 miles both days...and road temperatures of 130 degrees, with the heat reflecting off the asphalt.   

Today was a big day because I crossed the Mississippi River...from the town of Chester, IL - which is the 'birthplace' of Popeye (as in the sailor man...).  Got some good pictures of the Popeye statues! 

Last night I had my first flat tire.  The good news is it went flat while I was having dinner..I came back to the motel room to find it flat.  I thought it felt funny toward the end of my ride.  So, at least I was able to change it in the comfort of my air conditioned motel room.  Thank goodness for that!

So, goodbye to Illinois and Hello to Missouri. 

I have met up again with Dan and Russell the dog.  Poor Russell has been suffering with this heat as well, and Dan was planning to meet his sister last week so she could take Russell home.  For whatever reason, she can't get down here.  So, given the miserable (really dangerous) heat that is supposed to be here for the next two days, Dan and I have decided to take Russell home.  He is renting a car in the morning, and he and I and Russell are taking a two day 'road trip' to bring Russell home to Connecticut.  We will be back here Wednesday morning and back on the route then.

Tonight, we are staying at the old jail in Farmington, Missouri -- pretty cool, as we have our own 'cells' and good facilities for showering and getting a good night sleep!

Dinner at Murphreysboro IL - this place has won BBQ championships...!

Popeye...(and me) haha



"I'll glady pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.."

Getting ready to cross the Mississippi

Crossing the Might (and swollen) Mississippi River

And into another State...#4!

Wait...what state am I in again?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment